Tuesday, April 28, 2009

You have Died of Dysentary (No yarn in this post!)

If anyone knows the reference, then woo to you! My inner nerd just waved at you. For all you other people.. Welcome to old school video game references day! This past week, I have been searching online and around to remember the good old days, back when games were cool even though your little hero dude looked like an orange blob with legs.

So I went back.. Way back.. to Zork! Yes, Zork: The Great Underground Empire, was the first video game I ever played. It was released in (don't quote me) 1979, and I played it when it was obsolete, 9 years after it was made. Zork came on floppy disks, it was played solely by typing to navigate your way through the maze of text-descriptive rooms. My friends and I would draw maps of Zork. I am not sure we ever won it, but it was very fun.. so long as you didn't get eaten by the Grue!

After that for me was Oregon Trail (reference already been made), Montezuma's Revenge, Jungle Hunt, Dig Dug..

Then onto Nintendo! Oh NES, how I loved thee. The only game I ever beat was Mario Brothers II.

Then Super Nintendo.. And for some reason I am now hooked on Harvest Moon. I downloaded an emulator (and no, I am not going to tell you how to do it or where or any of that such, I am not sure of their distribution copyright stuff) for Super NES,and I am having a blast wasting my time.

Does anyone remember Jones in the Fast Lane? There is an external link from this site so you can try it out if you were not so fortunate to have it in the 90's.

These were my favorite old school games. Then there are RPGs and all that happening of the inner nerd running amok in my life.. but that is another story.

Happy gaming!

1 comment:

  1. I have become obsessed with the new Oregon Trail on my iPhone! I got all nostalgic the other day and found classic Oregon Trail online and played for sooo long. Now I need to go find Dig Dugg and Montezuma's Revenge! Oh, the good old days...

    ReplyDelete