Saturday, February 6, 2010

Wraps- or my fight with a sock

Fixed Camera! It wasn't actually broken, you just have to be smarter than the technology.. no the batteries weren't dead. I guess the memory card was not replaced properly in it's slot and so it wouldn't turn on as a safety? Good thing we figured it out before we took it to be fixed!


Anyhoot, wraps. Sometimes for toes of socks, heels of socks, mittens, hats, um.. I can't think where else I have used wraps, I think I used them on a tank top once. Wraps, or wrap and turn is a technique that is used for a process called short row knitting. Short rows are used to make a curve in your knitting, for example, shaping a waist on a sweater, or curving a toe on a sock. Do those examples make sense?


There are a lot of great sites with video tutorials and demos for short row knitting, let me link to stitch diva as an example. That is not what this whole business is about. This is about my fight with a sock- just have to give some back story for those who don't have the context.


Alrighty, so I am knitting this cute pink sock. And it is going along smoothly, I almost have the toe all done. I prefer a short row toe, however I am wrapping the damn stitches incorrectly. I am wrapping my knits like a purl, and my purls like a knit. My mind wasn't in the game. And I wish at that moment I had the camera working because it would have been the perfect picture for "What not to do".


There was all these loops in my short rows. I mean, it wasn't like there would have been a hole in my sock, it would have been like wearing toeless socks, every single toe could have slipped through. I could have started a new summer trend for flip flop wearers.


So I swore. A lot. I ate a lot of chocolate. Then I started over again. This one looks a lot better :) (Gratuitous shot of laundry in background)


Also today I am making slow cooker chicken. I haven't decided if it will turn into chicken soup or if we will just be having roasted chicken for dinner, but it is so easy, so if you don't take advantage of your slow cooker, you should! Only 4 hours on high in the slow cooker, season however you like, I prefer salt, pepper, onion and garlic, just a little rosemary and olive oil. Then if it turns into soup, I just add 6-8 cups vegetable broth to a pot, 2 carrots, 1 onion, 2 stalks celery, 2 cloves garlic, rough chopped, and mushrooms. Then egg noodles! So either way you are set. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment