Sunday, January 31, 2010

Screamin' about Seaming

I had a long talk with myself while I was working on a super secret knitting suprise for a friend. I said to myself, "Self, can you think of some things that took us away from knitting in these past few months?"

Self answered back, suprisingly quickly. "Yeah Kendal, you never Seam anything until you are done knitting the item. It makes one project into two projects, and the way you are stressing lately, it is no wonder you aren't finishing anything.. mutter mutter.."

Self has a rude streak. But she is right. I tend to work through a project until it is time to assemble it and then I look with dismay at all the stringy little ends hanging everywhere and I decide it is a good time to alphabetize my cookbooks, or give the dog a bath. Anything but a daunting project. It is funny, it only takes 20 or 30 minutes, but it seems like climbing Mt. Everest.

When I get to the finishing of a project, I want the sense of completion, not a gut twist sensation I am feeling when I finish projects now.

So, I made a little experiment. Self got to be the beautiful assistant. When I finished the first of my two items for my super secret project, Self reminded me to seem right then. So I did, even though I thought matching all the mystery socks in my laundry may be more fun. When I finished wrestling all five dangly pieces of evil yarn into place, I got that sense of completion! I haven't had that in a while. It makes me motivated to start the second piece to this project.

I'll post a picture when I have it done!

No comments:

Post a Comment